I am an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
I believe that lawyering is about serving people to bring about justice, well-being and peace.
I am a Director at Covenant Chambers LLC, formerly commencing my legal career at one of the Big Four firms, Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, practising in commercial litigation & arbitration. I’ve advised and represented institutional and individual clients in a broad range of disputes from multi-million dollar investment claims to employment disputes.
I also enjoy a non-contentious corporate practice dealing in technology & media, FinTech, ICOs, blockchain, employment, startups, companies and shareholder issues, investments & corporate finance, regulatory advice, financial services, mergers and acquisitions, and Intellectual Property (“IP”).
Recent highlights include advising a cryptocurrency exchange operator to be placed in the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) regulatory sandbox for RMO exemption to list security digital tokens, advising on a venture capital investment into a digital payments startup based in Singapore and Indonesia, advising on a secured trade financing facility involving multi-jurisdictional stakeholders, and advising a reputable electronics retailer on intellectual property and other issues.
I am also a Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC) Accredited Mediator and am available for appointment as mediator for various types of disputes.
I volunteer pro bono with various NGOs, legal clinics, LAB and CLAS. I advocate for social justice in various platforms, and frequently author academic and thought papers, some of which have been published in various journals. I serve as a Trial Advocacy tutor in the National University of Singapore (NUS) Law Faculty.
In my other roles, I try to pioneer movements, build communities, provoke novel ideas, mobilise people, and cultivate culture.
Check out my firm‘s website. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Law Practice Areas
- Commercial Litigation & International Arbitration
- Technology, Artificial Intelligence ethics, FinTech, ICOs and Blockchain
- Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment
- Employment Disputes and Advice – restrictive covenants, protection of confidential information
- Corporate Insolvency & Restructuring
- Companies Law, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Investments & Corporate Financing, Startups
- Financial Regulations, Regulatory Advice
- Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) compliance and investigations, privacy and data analytics
- Shareholders’ and Directors’ Disputes
- Competition Law
- White-Collar Crime
- Investigations and inquiries
- Drafting, review and negotiation of contracts and agreements
- Private Wealth: Wills, Trusts, Estates & Probate
- Non-Profit Organisations
- “Brilliant counsel with a sharp analytical mind, very sound and able to advise on complex legal issues, very hard-working, efficient and meticulous.” – AY.
- “He is very sound, very calm, very clever and a great advocate.” – CA.
- “We were impressed by his eye for detail as well as his advice. He proved responsive and quick to grasp as well as identify solutions to complex issues.” – JH.
- For more testimonials, please see this page.
Education & Qualifications
- National University of Singapore LL.B. (Hons)
- Raffles Junior College
- Raffles Institution
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems Internal Auditor Training Course
- ISO 31000 Risk Based Thinking Awareness Training Course
Positions & Awards
- Asia Business Law Journal 2019, A-List Singapore’s Top 100 Lawyers
- Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Overseas Attachment Scholarship – South Square Chambers
- Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Sub-Committee on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Robotics, Member
- Asia Business Law Journal 2018, A-List Singapore’s Top 100 Lawyers
- CIL-IAD Summer Research Internship for Research on Public International Law
- Research assistant in NUS on law of trusts & equity; sovereign wealth funds
- Singapore Journal of Legal Studies: student editor
- Asian Journal of Comparative Law: student editor
- Koh Han Kok Book Prize (Public International Law)
- NUS Law Faculty Scholarship
- AIESEC NTU-SSTI International Online Essay Competition First Prize
- GlaxoSmithKlein–EDB JC Book Prize (Sir Paul Girolami Book Prize (First Prize))
- “Singapore Medical Council ‘not aware’ of any action taken against man who deceived psychiatrist”, Today Online (11 March 2019)
- “Coming onstream: Laws banning sale of set-top boxes”, Today Online (17 January 2019)
- “Taxis and private-hire cars allowed to film passengers, but cannot upload videos on social media”, Today Online (10 April 2018)
- “Court dismisses PropertyGuru’s copyright infringement case against 99.co”, Channel NewsAsia (9 March 2018)
- “How to work with lawyers at each stage of funding”, Yahoo Singapore, e27 (4 August 2017)
- Asia Law Network Lawyer Feature
- Divorce Lawyers Share 5 Truths on Marriage: Her World
- Letters of the Law
- “Integrated database allows lawyers to work out of office” TODAY (28 February 2017)
- “Government agencies should be included under anti-harassment law: Experts”, TODAY (25 January 2017)
- “Lawyers beat evasive tactics by serving papers via WhatsApp, email”, TODAY Online (25 October 2016)
- “A stronger council of advisers?”, The Straits Times (29 May 2016)
- “Constitutional Commission on elected presidency: Ronald Wong’s submission”, The Straits Times (22 April 2016)
- “Commission hears diverse views on Elected Presidency in second public hearing”, Channel NewsAsia (23 April 2016)
- “Lawyer: CPA can take over President’s custodial powers”, The New Paper (23 April 2016)
- “Worker jailed for slashing colleague”, AsiaOne (8 January 2014)
Sample Legal Cases & Experience
Some Reported Cases
- Ho Pak Kim Realty Co Pte Ltd (in liquidation) v Ho Soo Fong and another  SGHC 193
- Hock Tong Bee Pte Ltd v Quek Hock Tiong and anor.  SGDC 81
- Clifford Eng K.F. v Twelve Degrees Pte Ltd  SGDC 22
- Tan Eck Hong v Maxz Universal Development Group Pte Ltd and others  3 SLR 161 (HC)
- Public Prosecutor v Mahsook Rahman Ajahar Nisha  SGDC 4
- Pacific Harbor Advisors Pte Ltd and another v Tiny Tantono (representative of the estate of Lim Susanto, deceased) and another suit  SGHCR 3
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Advised and successfully acted for an investment fund manager and a large global bank in a claim against a foreign guarantor for sums in excess of US$50 million due under a cross-border syndicated loan agreement. The claim involved the determination of novel conflicts of laws issues regarding the law governing capacity to contract, and a stay of proceedings on grounds of forum non conveniens.
- Advised and acted for a Singapore-regulated Fund Management Company and Managing Partner in defending a fraud claim of more than US$2.4 million in misrepresentation, breach of contract and conspiracy involving a share option.
- Advised and acted for reputed large wine merchant in more than 20 suits, claiming in conversion, detinue, unjust enrichment, involving commercial fraud concerning about S$7 million in value.
- Advised and acted for a former Managing Director of a multi-national corporation on a wrongful employee termination claim involving medical-related issues.
- Advised a major East Asian bank in relation to requests from Singapore tax authorities for confidential customer banking information pursuant to exchange of information requests from a foreign country under a bilateral tax treaty.
- Advised a foreign investor on suspected money laundering activities in relation to, and suspected misappropriation of, a multi-million dollar investment in a fund. Advised investor on potential breaches of regulatory obligations and duties by the Singapore-licensed fund manager imposed by statute and regulations issued by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Advised a large global bank on rights and obligations regarding investment management discretionary accounts.
- Advised a large global bank on a potential dispute with a South-East Asian bank and a trading company relating to purported non-compliant presentation of documents in respect of a letter of credit.
- Advised a multi-national corporation on its rights and obligations in respect of arbitration under International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) rules and litigation in a foreign jurisdiction relating to franchise agreements.
- Advised and acted for a global company in the offshore oil and gas industry in a multi-million dollar claim regarding a multi-million dollar dispute in relation to an Engineering, Procurement, Installation and Construction (“EPIC”) contract.
- Advised a company in the offshore industry in a dispute relating to breaches of charterparty and arbitration under London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA) rules.
- Advised and acted for a bank in a claim for monies under a cross-collateralised facility agreement and possession of mortgaged property.
- Advised and acted for a company in the offshore industry in a dispute involving a multi-million dollar EPCIC contract; acted for the same in an application for an urgent ex-parte injunction to restrain the call on a performance bond.
- Assisted in representing a hydraulic engineering company in an SIAC arbitration in a dispute involving a contract for the design, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of hydraulic systems for a landmark local attraction.
- Acted for food importers and distributors in respect of a Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) charge under section 47 of the Competition Act for alleged price fixing, market sharing and engaging in anti-competitive discussion in one of Singapore’s largest competition cases (total financial penalty amounting to S$26.9 million); drafted competition law compliance policy for company.
- Acted for a multi-national corporate in research and development in successfully obtaining an injunction against ex-employee to protect confidential information and trade secrets.
- Advised and acted for companies in a dispute involving a proprietary claim regarding a trust over shares.
- Advised and acted for a company and a shareholder-director in resisting a minority oppression claim involving a company which business is in hotel development and operation and allegations concerning funds amounting to up to $40 million.
- Advised and acted for a company on breaches of confidentiality obligations, non-compete restraint of trade covenants, and directors’ and fiduciary duties by a former director and employee.
- Advised and acted for liquidators of insolvent companies in various issues regarding winding-up proceedings, claims against former directors for breaches of directors’ and fiduciary duties, assignment of chose in action for proceeds of litigation, and discharge of liquidators.
- Assisted in representing a medical doctor in an appeal relating to professional disciplinary proceedings involving novel issues of innovative medical treatment.
- Advised and acted for a property developer in a claim arising from breaches of contract and misrepresentation in relation to the sale of a property, and losses incurred due to consequent delays to redevelopment plans.
- Advised and acted for minority shareholders in an action for leave to bring a statutory derivative action against the directors of the company for breaches of statutory and fiduciary duties involving hotels and multi-million dollar sums of moneys. Acted for the company in the resulting derivative action against a director of the company for breaches of statutory and fiduciary duties, pursuant to leave granted by the High Court.
- Advised and acted for a shareholder director in an appeal to the Court of Appeal relating to the grant of leave to commence a statutory derivative action involving purported breaches of directors’ duties, tort of passing off, violation of intellectual property rights, and usurpation of corporate opportunities.
- Advised and represented property owners regarding claims for liquidated damages for delay in giving vacant possession and completion of sale and purchase of property.
- Advised and represented Management Corporation Strata Title (MCST) in claim against property developer for multiple defects, unpaid charges, and other matters.
- Advised and represented creditors of liquidated company in respect of insolvency-related claims and proceedings.
- Advised and acted for leading home appliances company regarding intellectual property, trade mark dispute, distributorship agreement.
- Acted for a high net-worth individual in a matrimonial dispute to resist an application for a stay of local proceedings on the grounds of forum non conveniens and to apply for an anti-suit injunction restraining foreign divorce proceedings.
- Advised on a dispute relating to the vitiation of a conveyance of property interest by way of gift involving fraudulent misrepresentation and undue influence.
- Acted for an employee in an appeal to the High Court against a labour court (Commissioner of Labour) order in respect of salary claims under the Employment Act.
- Advised and acted for construction company in claims for breach of contract, defending claims alleging multiple defects and delay in completion.
- Acted for a steel trading company operating in Myanmar in claiming against a steel pipe supplier regarding a breach of contract.
- Acted for an industrial safety company in a claim against a storage company for breach of contract, tort and breach of bailee’s duties.
- Acted for storage facility operator in successfully defending a claim in breach of bailee’s duties.
- Advised and represented business owner and society member on defamation and claim for unpaid loans / debts.
- Acted for specialised engineering company in a patent infringement claim and defending a patent revocation counterclaim.
Corporate Commercial & Advisory
- Advised a global company in the offshore oil and gas industry on the review and drafting of a joint venture tender contract.
- Advised an international professional association on, and led, an internal disciplinary inquiry into a whistleblower complaint.
- Advised high net worth foreign private clients on complex trust structures, wealth management and novel cross-border personal property issues, and reviewing and drafting of trust deeds and letters of wishes.
- Advised multi-national companies on employment law & practice, and potential trade dispute with a trade union.
- Advised a multi-national financial consultancy firm on employment, shareholder, directorship and intellectual property issues regarding the removal of a local managing director.
- Advised on a secured trade financing facility involving multi-jurisdictional stakeholders.
- Advised an insurer on various potential claims involving a reverse mortgage facility agreement and mental capacity of a customer.
- Advised a professional association on restructuring its corporate legal structure from society to company and drafting its corporate constitution.
- Advised a professional association on the review and drafting of a Memorandum of Understanding and commercial agreements with a statutory regulatory body.
- Advised international Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) on structuring their corporate presence in Singapore and other related legal issues.
- Advised a charity on setting up a new legal structure in collaboration with a third party organisation; advised on its corporate constitution and reviewing and drafting a Board committee terms of reference; advised on charity governance issues.
- Advised a professional association on conducting its Annual General Meeting (AGM) and potential disputes arising in relation to the same.
- Advised an international financial institution on employment issues involving termination, bonuses and drafting of relevant documents.
- Advised a design consultancy firm on the drafting of premises sharing agreement and design consultancy agreements.
- Advised on the sale and purchase of shares and private acquisition of businesses.
- Advised the large venue operator managing a large-scale sports, entertainment and lifestyle hub on a review and drafting of quality policies and procedures for their Quality Management System in accordance with ISO 9001:2015; and risk assessment review in accordance with ISO 31000.
- Advised an individual on an appeal regarding waiver of National Service obligations pending citizenship renunciation.
- Advised a high level executive of a multi-national corporation in the shipping industry on severance and retrenchment from employment.
- Advised an alumni association on the review and amendment of society constitution.
- Advised a company and founder on corporate insolvency and bankruptcy matters.
- Advised a shareholder director on various issues regarding an exit from a group of companies.
- Advised commodities import and distribution company on re-structuring of debts and managing creditors’ claims.
- Advised and represented food import and distribution company on drafting of contracts and terms and conditions for sale and purchase of food products.
- Advised multi-national corporation on tax and foreign employment legal issues.
- Advised a fast-moving-consumer-goods company on insolvency restructuring and scheme of arrangement.
Technology, Fintech, Intellectual Property, Media
- Advised and acted for multi-jurisdictional plaintiffs in patent infringement claim involving utility patent in manufactured machine.
- Advising a cryptocurrency exchange operator to be placed in the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) regulatory sandbox for RMO exemption to list security digital tokens and regulatory issues under the Payment Services Act.
- Advised leading medical technology (MedTech) company on regulatory and other legal issues.
- Advised payment processing, e-wallet and entertainment listing startup on various legal issues.
- Advised and represented individual in relation to defending a trade mark infringement claim by large multi-national corporation.
- Advised and acted for leading electronics retailer regarding intellectual property, trade mark dispute, distributorship agreement.
- Advised on a venture capital investment into a digital payments startup based in Singapore and Indonesia.
- Advised tech startup in financing round, including drafting of share subscription agreement, shareholders agreement, and amending of company constitution.
- Advised tech startup on drafting a convertible loan agreement for bridging funding.
- Advised artificial intelligence technology and big data analytics firm on drafting intellectual property and source code licence agreement and Software as a Service (SaaS) agreement.
- Advised medical and asset management technology startup on drafting of founders / shareholders agreement and sale and purchase of shares, confidentiality and assignment of intellectual property rights.
- Advised payment processing and e-wallet startup on Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) financial laws and regulations and legal issues concerning stored value facility, money-changing and remittance business, and anti-money laundering.
- Advised on drafting of cryptocurrency (Bitcoin and alternative coins) trading services agreement.
- Advised on various cryptocurrency crowdfunding, initial coin offerings (ICO) / digital token sales, including drafting and review of token sale agreements and white papers, providing legal opinions on applicable laws and regulations.
- Advised on establishment of, and licensing and regulatory conditions for, cryptocurrency exchange / digital payment token exchange.
- Advised startup on series investment funding including drafting of investment and shareholders agreements.
- Advised technology company on drafting of franchise agreement for regional technology franchises.
- Advised a founder of a tech startup on the drafting of a convertible loan agreement.
- Advised regional company on intellectual property management.
- Advised animation studio and production company.
- “Wrongful Dismissal, Disability Discrimination and Mental Illness”, Law Gazette, November 2019
- “Enforceability of Legal Rights Relating to Cryptocurrencies, Digital Tokens, and Smart Contracts”, Law Gazette, June 2019
- “The Law and Practice of Garden Leave: Rights, Duties, Enforcement and Resistance”, Law Gazette, May 2018
- “Deputies, Donees and Disputes: Cases on the Mental Capacity Act”, Law Gazette, December 2017
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Report on Tort Law Conference 2016: “Protecting Business and Economic Interests: Contemporary Issues in Tort Law””, Singapore Law Blog (8 September 2016)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Case Comment: Accent Delight International Ltd v Bouvier, Yves Charles Edgar  SGHC 40”, Singapore Law Blog (11 April 2016)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Upkeep claims for wrongful birth, wrongful conception or wrongful fertilisation? IVF mix-up in the Singapore High Court: ACB v Thomson Medical Pte Ltd  SGHC 9” (2015) 23 Tort L Rev (cited by the Singapore Court of Appeal)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Court of Appeal sets aside Mareva injunctions and ancillary disclosure orders in Bouvier, Yves Charles Edgar and another v Accent Delight International Ltd and another and another appeal  SGCA 45”, Singapore Law Blog (7 September 2015) (http://www.singaporelawblog.sg/blog/article/133)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Legal Regulation of Drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Singapore”, Singapore Law Gazette (September 2015)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Remedies for Equitable Wrongs: Coherence and Limitation Principles: AIB Group (UK) Plc v Mark Redler & Co Solicitors  UKSC 58” (2015) 15(1) OUCLJ
- Ronald JJ Wong and Juay Wei Tian, “The Prevention of Human Trafficking Act 2014: Legislation Comment”  Sing. J.L.S. 261
- Ronald JJ Wong & Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Rationalising The Notice Requirement For Statutory Derivative Actions: Comparing Singapore And Canadian Perspectives” (2015) 27 SAcLJ 528
- Ronald JJ Wong and Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Reflective Loss, Reverse Piercing and Alter Ego in Koh Kim Teck v Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch  SGHC 52”, Singapore Law Blog (31 March 2015) (http://www.singaporelawblog.sg/blog/article/101)
- Ronald JJ Wong and Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Case Comment: Gimpex Ltd v Unity Holdings Business Ltd and others and another appeal  SGCA 8”, Singapore Law Blog (23 February 2015) (http://www.singaporelawblog.sg/blog/article/86)
- “A Private Law Theory of Adjudication Embracing Value Pluralism, Deliberative Democracy and Constitutionalism” (2014) 32 Sing.L.Rev. 81
- “A Critique of International and Singapore Legal Treatments of Trafficking in Persons”  S.J.L.S. 179-205
- “Sinking Your Teeth Into Bitcoin”, Singapore Law Gazette (May 2014):
- “Judging Between Conflicting Expert Evidence: Understanding the Scientific Method and its Impact on Apprehending Expert Evidence” (2014) 26 S.Ac.L.J. 169
- “Employment Contracts – Termination and Dismissal”, Law Gazette (December 2013):
- “Interim Relief in Aid of International Commercial Arbitration: A Critique on the International Arbitration Act” (2012) 24 S.Ac.L.J. 499
- Singapore Academy of Law Subcommittee on Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Report on Applying Ethical Principles for Artificial Intelligence in Regulatory Reform.
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Who’s responsible if a robot runs amok?”, The Straits Times (11 March 2017)
- Ronald JJ Wong,“Why a Constitutional Commission to review the Elected Presidency?”, Straits Times, A20 (17 February 2016)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “7 Considerations Before Executing the Employment Contract”, The Straits Times, ST Recruit (11 June 2015)