I am an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
I believe that lawyering is about serving people to bring about justice, well-being and peace.
I am a Director at Covenant Chambers LLC, formerly commencing my legal career at one of the Big Four firms, Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, in commercial litigation & arbitration, advising and representing institutional and individual clients in a broad range of disputes from multi-million dollar investment claims to employment disputes.
I also enjoy a corporate business advisory practice on various areas including technology law, employment law, startups, investments & financing, regulatory advice, financial services, corporate transactions and acquisitions, and ICOs and blockchain.
I volunteer pro bono with HealthServe (representing migrant workers; researching and engaging on human trafficking issues), various legal clinics, LAB and CLAS. I advocate for social justice in various platforms, and frequently author academic and thought papers, some of which have been published in various journals.
In my other roles, I try to pioneer movements, build communities, provoke novel ideas, mobilise people, and create culture.
Check out my firm‘s website. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Law Practice Areas
- Commercial Litigation & International Arbitration
- Technology Law, FinTech, ICOs and Blockchain
- Employment Law
- Companies Law, Corporate Insolvency, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Investments & Financing, Startups
- Financial Regulations, Regulatory Advice, Deals and Commercial Agreements
- Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA)
- Shareholders’ and Directors’ Disputes
- Private Wealth: Trusts, Estates & Probate
- Non-Profit Organisations
- Migrant Justice
Education & Qualifications
- National University of Singapore LL.B. (Hons)
- Raffles Junior College
- Raffles Institution
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems Internal Auditor Training Course
- ISO 31000 Risk Based Thinking Awareness Training Course
Positions & Awards
- Asia Business Law Journal 2018, A-List Singapore’s Top 100 Lawyers
- Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Overseas Attachment Scholarship – South Square Chambers
- Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Sub-Committee on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Robotics, Member
- CIL-IAD Summer Research Internship for Research on Public International Law
- Research assistant in NUS on law of trusts & equity; sovereign wealth funds
- Singapore Journal of Legal Studies: student editor
- Asian Journal of Comparative Law: student editor
- Koh Han Kok Book Prize (Public International Law)
- NUS Law Faculty Scholarship
- AIESEC NTU-SSTI International Online Essay Competition First Prize
- GlaxoSmithKlein–EDB JC Book Prize (Sir Paul Girolami Book Prize (First Prize))
- “Singapore Medical Council ‘not aware’ of any action taken against man who deceived psychiatrist”, Today Online (11 March 2019)
- “Coming onstream: Laws banning sale of set-top boxes”, Today Online (17 January 2019)
- “Taxis and private-hire cars allowed to film passengers, but cannot upload videos on social media”, Today Online (10 April 2018)
- “Court dismisses PropertyGuru’s copyright infringement case against 99.co”, Channel NewsAsia (9 March 2018)
- “How to work with lawyers at each stage of funding”, Yahoo Singapore, e27 (4 August 2017)
- Asia Law Network Lawyer Feature
- Divorce Lawyers Share 5 Truths on Marriage: Her World
- Letters of the Law
- “Integrated database allows lawyers to work out of office” TODAY (28 February 2017)
- “Government agencies should be included under anti-harassment law: Experts”, TODAY (25 January 2017)
- “Lawyers beat evasive tactics by serving papers via WhatsApp, email”, TODAY Online (25 October 2016)
- “A stronger council of advisers?”, The Straits Times (29 May 2016)
- “Constitutional Commission on elected presidency: Ronald Wong’s submission”, The Straits Times (22 April 2016)
- “Commission hears diverse views on Elected Presidency in second public hearing”, Channel NewsAsia (23 April 2016)
- “Lawyer: CPA can take over President’s custodial powers”, The New Paper (23 April 2016)
- “Worker jailed for slashing colleague”, AsiaOne (8 January 2014)
Sample Legal Cases & Experience
Some Reported Cases
- Clifford Eng K.F. v Twelve Degrees Pte Ltd  SGDC 22
- Tan Eck Hong v Maxz Universal Development Group Pte Ltd and others  3 SLR 161 (HC)
- Public Prosecutor v Mahsook Rahman Ajahar Nisha  SGDC 4
- Pacific Harbor Advisors Pte Ltd and another v Tiny Tantono (representative of the estate of Lim Susanto, deceased) and another suit  SGHCR 3
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Advised and successfully acted for an investment fund manager and a large global bank in a claim against a foreign guarantor for sums in excess of US$50 million due under a cross-border syndicated loan agreement. The claim involved the determination of novel conflicts of laws issues regarding the law governing capacity to contract, and a stay of proceedings on grounds of forum non conveniens.
- Advised and acted for a Singapore-regulated Fund Management Company and Managing Partner in defending a fraud claim of more than US$2.4 million in misrepresentation, breach of contract and conspiracy involving a share option.
- Advised and acted for reputed large wine merchant in more than 20 suits, claiming in conversion, detinue, unjust enrichment, involving commercial fraud concerning about S$7 million in value.
- Advised and acted for a former Managing Director of a multi-national corporation on a wrongful employee termination claim involving medical-related issues.
- Advised a major East Asian bank in relation to requests from Singapore tax authorities for confidential customer banking information pursuant to exchange of information requests from a foreign country under a bilateral tax treaty.
- Advised a foreign investor on suspected money laundering activities in relation to, and suspected misappropriation of, a multi-million dollar investment in a fund. Advised investor on potential breaches of regulatory obligations and duties by the Singapore-licensed fund manager imposed by statute and regulations issued by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Advised a large global bank on rights and obligations regarding investment management discretionary accounts.
- Advised a large global bank on a potential dispute with a South-East Asian bank and a trading company relating to purported non-compliant presentation of documents in respect of a letter of credit.
- Advised a multi-national corporation on its rights and obligations in respect of arbitration under International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) rules and litigation in a foreign jurisdiction relating to franchise agreements.
- Advised and acted for a global company in the offshore oil and gas industry in a multi-million dollar claim regarding a multi-million dollar dispute in relation to an Engineering, Procurement, Installation and Construction (“EPIC”) contract.
- Advised a company in the offshore industry in a dispute relating to breaches of charterparty and arbitration under London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA) rules.
- Advised and acted for a bank in a claim for monies under a cross-collateralised facility agreement and possession of mortgaged property.
- Advised and acted for a company in the offshore industry in a dispute involving a multi-million dollar EPCIC contract; acted for the same in an application for an urgent ex-parte injunction to restrain the call on a performance bond.
- Assisted in representing a hydraulic engineering company in an SIAC arbitration in a dispute involving a contract for the design, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of hydraulic systems for a landmark local attraction.
- Acted for food importers and distributors in respect of a Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) charge under section 47 of the Competition Act for alleged price fixing, market sharing and engaging in anti-competitive discussion in one of Singapore’s largest competition cases (total financial penalty amounting to S$26.9 million); drafted competition law compliance policy for company.
- Advised and acted for companies in a dispute involving a proprietary claim regarding a trust over shares.
- Advised and acted for a company and a shareholder-director in resisting a minority oppression claim involving a company which business is in hotel development and operation and allegations concerning funds amounting to up to $40 million.
- Advised and acted for a company on breaches of confidentiality obligations, non-compete restraint of trade covenants, and directors’ and fiduciary duties by a former director and employee.
- Advised and acted for liquidators of insolvent companies in various issues regarding winding-up proceedings, claims against former directors for breaches of directors’ and fiduciary duties, assignment of chose in action for proceeds of litigation, and discharge of liquidators.
- Assisted in representing a medical doctor in an appeal relating to professional disciplinary proceedings involving novel issues of innovative medical treatment.
- Advised and acted for a property developer in a claim arising from breaches of contract and misrepresentation in relation to the sale of a property, and losses incurred due to consequent delays to redevelopment plans.
- Advised and acted for minority shareholders in an action for leave to bring a statutory derivative action against the directors of the company for breaches of statutory and fiduciary duties involving hotels and multi-million dollar sums of moneys. Acted for the company in the resulting derivative action against a director of the company for breaches of statutory and fiduciary duties, pursuant to leave granted by the High Court.
- Advised and acted for a shareholder director in an appeal to the Court of Appeal relating to the grant of leave to commence a statutory derivative action involving purported breaches of directors’ duties, tort of passing off, violation of intellectual property rights, and usurpation of corporate opportunities.
- Advised and represented property owners regarding claims for liquidated damages for delay in giving vacant possession and completion of sale and purchase of property.
- Advised and represented Management Corporation Strata Title (MCST) in claim against property developer for multiple defects, unpaid charges, and other matters.
- Advised and acted for leading home appliances company regarding intellectual property, trade mark dispute, distributorship agreement.
- Acted for a high net-worth individual in a matrimonial dispute to resist an application for a stay of local proceedings on the grounds of forum non conveniens and to apply for an anti-suit injunction restraining foreign divorce proceedings.
- Advised on a dispute relating to the vitiation of a conveyance of property interest by way of gift involving fraudulent misrepresentation and undue influence.
- Acted for an employee in an appeal to the High Court against a labour court (Commissioner of Labour) order in respect of salary claims under the Employment Act.
- Advised and acted for construction company in claims for breach of contract, defending claims alleging multiple defects and delay in completion.
- Acted for a steel trading company operating in Myanmar in claiming against a steel pipe supplier regarding a breach of contract.
- Acted for an industrial safety company in a claim against a storage company for breach of contract, tort and breach of bailee’s duties.
- Acted for storage facility operator in successfully defending a claim in breach of bailee’s duties.
- Advised and represented business owner and society member on defamation and claim for unpaid loans / debts.
- Advised a global company in the offshore oil and gas industry on the review and drafting of a joint venture tender contract.
- Advised an international professional association on, and led, an internal disciplinary inquiry into a whistleblower complaint.
- Advised high net worth foreign private clients on complex trust structures, wealth management and novel cross-border personal property issues, and reviewing and drafting of trust deeds and letters of wishes.
- Advised multi-national companies on employment law & practice, and potential trade dispute with a trade union.
- Advised a multi-national financial consultancy firm on employment, shareholder, directorship and intellectual property issues regarding the removal of a local managing director.
- Advised an insurer on various potential claims involving a reverse mortgage facility agreement and mental capacity of a customer.
- Advised a professional association on restructuring its corporate legal structure from society to company and drafting its corporate constitution.
- Advised a professional association on the review and drafting of a Memorandum of Understanding and commercial agreements with a statutory regulatory body.
- Advised international Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) on structuring their corporate presence in Singapore and other related legal issues.
- Advised a charity on setting up a new legal structure in collaboration with a third party organisation; advised on its corporate constitution and reviewing and drafting a Board committee terms of reference; advised on charity governance issues.
- Advised a professional association on conducting its Annual General Meeting (AGM) and potential disputes arising in relation to the same.
- Advised an international financial institution on employment issues involving termination, bonuses and drafting of relevant documents.
- Advised a design consultancy firm on the drafting of premises sharing agreement and design consultancy agreements.
- Advised a shareholder on the sale and purchase of shares and private acquisition of businesses.
- Advised the large venue operator managing a large-scale sports, entertainment and lifestyle hub on a review and drafting of quality policies and procedures for their Quality Management System in accordance with ISO 9001:2015; and risk assessment review in accordance with ISO 31000.
- Advised an individual on an appeal regarding waiver of National Service obligations pending citizenship renunciation.
- Advised a high level executive of a multi-national corporation in the shipping industry on severance and retrenchment from employment.
- Advised an alumni association on the review and amendment of society constitution.
- Advised a company and founder on corporate insolvency and bankruptcy matters.
- Advised a shareholder director on various issues regarding an exit from a group of companies.
- Advised commodities import and distribution company on re-structuring of debts and managing creditors’ claims.
- Advised and represented food import and distribution company on drafting of contracts and terms and conditions for sale and purchase of food products.
- Advised multi-national corporation on tax and foreign employment legal issues.
Technology Law and Fintech
- Advised medical technology startup on various medtech legal issues.
- Advised payment processing, e-wallet and entertainment listing startup on various legal issues.
- Advised and represented individual in relation to defending a trade mark infringement claim by large multi-national corporation.
- Advised tech startup in financing round, including drafting of share subscription agreement, shareholders agreement, and amending of company constitution.
- Advised tech startup on drafting a convertible loan agreement for bridging funding.
- Advised technology startup on drafting intellectual property and source code licence agreement and Software as a Service (SaaS) agreement.
- Advised medical and asset management technology startup on drafting of founders / shareholders agreement and sale and purchase of shares, confidentiality and assignment of intellectual property rights.
- Advised payment processing and e-wallet startup on Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) financial laws and regulations and legal issues concerning stored value facility, money-changing and remittance business, and anti-money laundering.
- Advised on drafting of cryptocurrency (Bitcoin and alternative coins) trading services agreement.
- Advised on cryptocurrency crowdfunding, initial coin offerings (ICO) / digital token sales, including drafting and review of token sale agreements and white papers, providing legal opinions on applicable laws and regulations.
- Advised on establishment of, and licensing and regulatory conditions for, cryptocurrency exchange / digital payment token exchange.
- Advised startup on series investment funding including drafting of investment and shareholders agreements.
- Advised technology company on drafting of franchise agreement for regional technology franchises.
- Advised a founder of a tech startup on the drafting of a convertible loan agreement.
- “The Law and Practice of Garden Leave: Rights, Duties, Enforcement and Resistance”, Law Gazette, May 2018
- “Deputies, Donees and Disputes: Cases on the Mental Capacity Act”, Law Gazette, December 2017
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Report on Tort Law Conference 2016: “Protecting Business and Economic Interests: Contemporary Issues in Tort Law””, Singapore Law Blog (8 September 2016)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Case Comment: Accent Delight International Ltd v Bouvier, Yves Charles Edgar  SGHC 40”, Singapore Law Blog (11 April 2016)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Upkeep claims for wrongful birth, wrongful conception or wrongful fertilisation? IVF mix-up in the Singapore High Court: ACB v Thomson Medical Pte Ltd  SGHC 9” (2015) 23 Tort L Rev (cited by the Singapore Court of Appeal)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Court of Appeal sets aside Mareva injunctions and ancillary disclosure orders in Bouvier, Yves Charles Edgar and another v Accent Delight International Ltd and another and another appeal  SGCA 45”, Singapore Law Blog (7 September 2015) (http://www.singaporelawblog.sg/blog/article/133)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Legal Regulation of Drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Singapore”, Singapore Law Gazette (September 2015)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Remedies for Equitable Wrongs: Coherence and Limitation Principles: AIB Group (UK) Plc v Mark Redler & Co Solicitors  UKSC 58” (2015) 15(1) OUCLJ
- Ronald JJ Wong and Juay Wei Tian, “The Prevention of Human Trafficking Act 2014: Legislation Comment”  Sing. J.L.S. 261
- Ronald JJ Wong & Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Rationalising The Notice Requirement For Statutory Derivative Actions: Comparing Singapore And Canadian Perspectives” (2015) 27 SAcLJ 528
- Ronald JJ Wong and Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Reflective Loss, Reverse Piercing and Alter Ego in Koh Kim Teck v Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch  SGHC 52”, Singapore Law Blog (31 March 2015) (http://www.singaporelawblog.sg/blog/article/101)
- Ronald JJ Wong and Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Case Comment: Gimpex Ltd v Unity Holdings Business Ltd and others and another appeal  SGCA 8”, Singapore Law Blog (23 February 2015) (http://www.singaporelawblog.sg/blog/article/86)
- “A Private Law Theory of Adjudication Embracing Value Pluralism, Deliberative Democracy and Constitutionalism” (2014) 32 Sing.L.Rev. 81
- “A Critique of International and Singapore Legal Treatments of Trafficking in Persons”  S.J.L.S. 179-205
- “Sinking Your Teeth Into Bitcoin”, Singapore Law Gazette (May 2014):
- “Judging Between Conflicting Expert Evidence: Understanding the Scientific Method and its Impact on Apprehending Expert Evidence” (2014) 26 S.Ac.L.J. 169
- “Employment Contracts – Termination and Dismissal”, Law Gazette (December 2013):
- “Interim Relief in Aid of International Commercial Arbitration: A Critique on the International Arbitration Act” (2012) 24 S.Ac.L.J. 499
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Who’s responsible if a robot runs amok?”, The Straits Times (11 March 2017)
- Ronald JJ Wong,“Why a Constitutional Commission to review the Elected Presidency?”, Straits Times, A20 (17 February 2016)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “7 Considerations Before Executing the Employment Contract”, The Straits Times, ST Recruit (11 June 2015)